[Jacob-list] Rabies?

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Fri Sep 13 13:08:46 EDT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 ACAMDA at aol.com wrote:

> As for all the wild critters, rabies vaccinations are available in "bait"
> form for areas that have a high incidence of rabies.  You drop it in rural
> areas and the animals eat it and take in the vaccine.

Boy, gee. This is not directed at Kathey personally (really, it is not:
no flames here), but perhaps to any vet or agency that would suggest such
a practice, and to those of us who might consider it. It sounds like a
recipe for growing vaccine resistant rabies. Since no one can know what
dosage is taken by wild animals consuming bait, I would hope the practice
is rare.

Among beekeepers it used to be common practice to feed Terramyacin
in sugar-laced grease patties as a prophilactic against a condition
called Foul Brood. It was done regularly, ritually, as part of the
annual round a management practices, whether or not any of the hives
had a Foul Brood infection. The condition now is that much Foul Brood
is resistant to Terramyacin, leaving us to return to the old method
of treatment: burn the hives, burn the equipment, burn it all.

I would really, really hate to see rabies arrive at a state like
that. Foul Brood in bees is not going to kill anyone except the bees
(we won't go into pollination losses). Treatment resistant rabies,
on the other hand, is a horrifying possibility.

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.