[Jacob-list] sibling memory and recognition of each other,

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Fri Oct 11 20:30:48 EDT 2002

<but we also should consider "the Jacob lamb survivability" ... and their
"loose flocking" with  (ewe AND lamb / >

I am interested in the bonds retained between ewe and lambs after weaning.
For example,  last week, I moved 2 wethers, aged 1 1/2 years to a field
directly adjoining a field where their mothers were.  They had been weaned
well over a year ago and had been in separate fields all summer.  Somehow,
the wethers found a place where they could wiggle under the fence and get
into the field with their mothers.  It seemed strange to me, because the
field the wethers were in had been resting for a while and had more and
better grass.  I could see no reason for them to go to all that trouble to
get into the inferior field.  The only thing I could think of was:  Their
mothers were there.  Do Jacobs normally retain family bonds this long?  Or
perhaps they got under the fence because it was there, and they wanted to see
if they could do it.

Also, an 8 month old pair of twin lambs, wether and ewe, are so closely
bonded, they stay with each other constantly.  Sometimes the whole flock is
in one place, and they are off together, someplace else.  I couldn't bear to
separate them and put the wether in with the other wethers.  It seems very
sweet to me, that they are so close.
It is one of those things that makes raising these sheep so enjoyable.

Sharon Hill
Kingston,GA