[Jacob-list] Recognition:

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Oct 11 12:39:33 EDT 2002

In a message dated 10/10/02 12:03:32 PM Central Daylight Time, ACAMDA at aol.com
writes:

> This was in my e-mail this morning, and I thought it was cool!
>
> "Sheeps can recognize other sheep faces like humans do.  They
>    can remember up to 50 sheep faces."
>
> Not sure how they figured it out, but it's something to think about!

The recognition of Jacob ewes and lambs, and the visusal recognition of sheep
by other sheep, memory and response has been the subject of several studies.
Some Listers may have read the several Jacob articles on this behavior over
the years.

The ewe - new lamb vocalizations (some call it 'knickering') at birth begins
a vocal imprinting process that might be characterized as "that's Mom" or
"that's the kid again" ... The ewe nicker/bleat is unique as is the lamb's.
Each has a unique 'tone' and 'accent' .... the formants, amplitutde and
harmonics are unique.   In field observations, the voice is so unique that
'bleats' made while grazing are recognized ... bleating with your mouth full
is encouraged ...

The vocal cues are 'attention getters'.  The 'attention getters' initiate a
"I'm over here" response and a "look at me when I 'baa'" response.  The body
and/or head turns to the recognized vocalization.  The next step is a visual
recognition and approach ... lamb to ewe or vice versa ... sheep to sheep ...
 The visual cues are the crux of the "recognition" and "approach". The visual
'recognition' is followed by the 'approach' ... family members recognize
other family members .... avoid strangers ... accept 'repeat' strangers.
Behavior is fascinating ... and mysterious when it is looked at closely.

We generally like to lump lambing experiences into the wonderful "Jacob
maternal ability" ... but we also should consider "the Jacob lamb
survivability" ... and their "loose flocking" with sibling memory and
recognition of each other, (ewe AND lamb / sheep AND sheep / sheep and people
/ etc.).    I suspect there is something to "they stopped at fifty"... and
they are a bit smarter.

These behaviors are rooted in genetic/bio/chemical mechanisms.  The
polypeptides (like cholecsytokinin, CCK ) and the genes that set this in
motion are not experiences but are a sine qua non for experiencing the
behavior ... and these behaviors differ by breed.   Fred Horak