[Jacob-list] sheep faces/ copper deficiency/greying

SharHill at aol.com SharHill at aol.com
Thu Oct 10 18:22:52 EDT 2002

<If they can remember only 50 sheep faces, how is it that flocks that are
larger than that seem to have pecking orders that work consistently?>

1.  I read that article when it came out a while ago.  I think it stated that
sheep can probably recognize more than 50 sheep faces, they just picked that
number and stopped testing there.  They didn't test for more than 50 faces.

I hope I helped you.

2.  <Copper deficiency in the fleece shows up as a loss of colour
(to grey) and strength of staple to some extent.>

  There was recent talk about genetic causes of greying in Jacobs.  Are the
additional symptoms of copper deficiency sufficient to make you think there
is something wrong with the sheep and do something about it, rather continue
on your merry way, attributing it to natural greying?  Trisha obviously
noticed there was something wrong with her sheep and figured out the cause.
I'm just wondering how easy that is for not very experienced shepherds to
pick that up.

Thanks.

Sharon Hill
Kingston, GA