[Jacob-list] Fleece Cu Deficiency

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Thu Oct 10 15:48:16 EDT 2002

Hi Dennis,
               Copper deficiency in the fleece shows up as a loss of colour
(to grey) and strength of staple to some extent. This is easily seen by
looking at the neck wool parting the fleece to the skin. Before our recent
move to Montgomeryshire, Wales from Norfolk, England I spent three years
trying to convince my horse vet (few sheep flocks) that some of my
ram/wethered lambs were suffering from delayed swayback at around 6 months of
age - running at around 10 per cent of my lambs. The colour loss was one of
several symptoms. Interestingly affected ewe lambs didn't seem to lose their
wool colour until closer to a year and, fortunately, had none had more severe
symptoms. The Hebridean breeders in The Netherlands have done a bit of work
on this which is interesting to read. The longshot being that bolusing my
lambs with copper produced a spectacular reversion to normal fleece colour
although the failure to thrive in the two affected lambs this year hasn't
been changed, although worse symptoms have been averted. In three weeks time
I will bolus all my ewes prior to lambing (in late January) and hopefully
that will be that.

Trisha M-S
Marmont Jacobs, Montgomeryshire, Wales