[Jacob-list] Facts

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Oct 10 18:58:07 EDT 2002

I heard something about that.  I think it also said that sheep can recognize 10 humans.

It's interesting that sheep will seem to instantly like or dislike someone.  A few weeks ago someone came to pick up some rabbits and we went to see the ram.  He's a somewhat timid ram, but not usually spooky.  He saw these people and ran into the barn so fast that he skidded into the wall with a bang!  A few years ago I was selling a super tame ewe.  The first people came to see her and she lit out into the woods and wouldn't even come for feed.  She went home with the next people and she comes up for petting every day.  Wonder why sheep don't like some people?

An interesting sheep feeding observation - I have 9 animals in the breeding group.  I have 9 rubber feed dishes along the fence, about 2 feet apart.  I walk along the fence putting a scoop of grain in each dish.  RubyBelle will just stick her head in the first dish and eat.  The rest will follow me from dish to dish, checking to see what is going in each dish.  A few will drop out along the way and eat, but Martha will still be following me at the end to see what might be left in the feed bucket.  By this time, RubyBelle has finished her dish and moved to another.  The rest are milling around, still checking to see if anyone else has something better.  Martha is still following me with my empty feed bucket.  Guess who is the littlest sheep!

Linda
NE Georgia

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:02:10 EDT, ACAMDA at aol.com wrote:
>This was in my e-mail this morning, and I thought it was cool!
>
>"Sheeps can recognize other sheep faces like humans do.  They
>can remember up to 50 sheep faces."
>
>Not sure how they figured it out, but it's something to think about!
>
>Kathey W.

Visit our Jacob flock at:
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep