[Jacob-list] sibling memory and recognition of each other,

Melody critterland at bendcable.com
Fri Oct 11 22:37:05 EDT 2002

I have not had any experience with lambs and their mothers being separated for long periods and then reunited, but I know that family groups in my flock tend to stay together, perhaps not "inseparable" but they hang out in the same areas and bed down together, lambs, moms, and grandmas.  Also had a young ewe "adopt" another weaned lamb.  The adoptee is a shetland/jacob cross ewe lamb, whose mother and twin brother were sold to the same person shortly after the lambs were weaned.  The little ewe lamb was completely lost for a couple days, and then started following Pippin and her lamb Bunny, who was about the same age and also weaned.  Bunny's twin had also been sold, so Pippin was short a lamb and soon began to act as though the newcomer was her own.  Now both lambs are nearly 7 mo. old, and the three are still a recognizable family unit in the barn and field.
Melody at CritterLand
Redmond OR