[Jacob-list] re: worming techniques

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Sat Nov 16 07:49:14 EST 2002

Rachel,

I can't answer WHY it is said to use the wormers in a manner to which
they were not developed.  Valbazen is absolutely contra-indicated in
anything that is or might become pregnant soon----if you doubt that one,
just ask the occasional shepherd that didn't know that and the heartache
they lived through with cleft palates and multiple other defects in
lambs that had no ability to make it if they were born!

As to the 4 X dosage.........that is way and above what I have ever
heard recommended by a vet.  Mine recommend usually dosing at or
slightly above the weight of the animal and with Safeguard it was
recommended at 2X the weight for the horse paste (sheep like that one
anyway).  I have been told higher doses wouldn't kill them if you goofed
up and gave more.  This would have come through 4 different vets over
the years in NC.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209