[Jacob-list] re: worming techniques

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Thu Nov 14 20:02:21 EST 2002

Hi,

In the US, many sheep are becoming resistant to the Ivomec and Safeguard
groups of wormers.

The injectable form of Ivomectin has been promoted by my former vet as
much better used by the sheep if taken orally by the sheep.  My current
vet has recommended we use Cymetrin (cattle pour on) IN THE MOUTH.  That
bit of advice was made today.  He does sheep and goats and cattle and
horses.....exclusively a large animal practice.

If you have access to a vet, the best advice is to use them and get to
know them.  I got to know my current one (after several long hard years
without anybody) by having him come out and do a full flock health
check.  He learned quickly that I want healthy sheep, want to know what
is going on that could be improved, and also knows what I am talking
about when I have called him since.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209