[Jacob-list] re: worming techniques

MarmontJacobs at aol.com MarmontJacobs at aol.com
Thu Nov 14 16:02:02 EST 2002

http://www.saanendoah.com/fecals.html is a starting point albeit for goats,
but near enough. I agree that worming whatever is a bad idea and can
compromise the formation of a healthy immune system if overdone. Ivermectin
is a last resort here in the UK - ie for resistant parasites or the odd
nasties that can't be cleared up by anything else. I would never give an
injectable orally except on vet advice *and* after double checking somewhere
else (all vets are human and get it wrong especially if they are not used to
whatever creature you are presenting them with.......I presented a ewe with
acute mastitis at a surgery a few years ago, to be given the manual and asked
to look up a treatment!!). The ewe survived and is now nine. The article
above suggests saturated salt solution - when I asked my last vet about such
things he said make up concentrated sugar solution, bung in a bit of fresh
muck from a selection of beasts and swirl it about. I have a powerful
microscope, but only worm minimally in any case, so haven't taken it further
to date. Keep us informed!

Trisha M-S
Marmont Jacobs, Montgomeryshire, Wales