[Jacob-list] Little Big Ram

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Sun Nov 10 23:57:00 EST 2002

I do just shake my head sometimes.

I have written before about this year's smallest ram lamb. He is
still a wee little guy, but he has all the confidence in the world.
Usually, when the ram lambs get into trouble, he has been the
ring leader. You can count on it.

This afternoon I was watching them from the deck. They are in the
fenced orchard just now, where they have been cleaning up the tall
grass, and I can look down on them without their knowing I am on
the watch.  That little feller was bossing one of the other young
rams around. The bigger one walked up to challenge Little Big Ram,
and got his head bonked for his trouble.

Now, by appearances, you would expect this bigger guy, who is about
3 times the size of his brother, to just knock the little one down. But
no. Little Big Ram bonked him again.  The big 'un looked around, as if
expecting the reinforcements to show up. No one did. Little Big Ram
hit him again, and started backing the other one down. Step by step they
made their way across the orchard, the big one going backwards every
inch. If he didn't go fast enough, Little Big Ram reminded him. Finally
the larger one just gave up and turned sideways, and the issue was
settled.

But you have to wonder what is going on here? That little bitty ram
shouldn't be all that impressive to those other guys. What a buncha
pansies!

Does anybody really understand how the social order of sheep is worked
out?

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.