[Jacob-list] question for those experienced breeders

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Nov 6 18:31:43 EST 2002

Jacob Sheep have as many different personalities as any other species - including that quite diverse species known as "Jacob Breeders".  Some of my sheep come for a daily scratch.  Others stay far from me.  Last year I tried an experiment and went every day in with my ewes and hand fed them alfalfa cubes.  At first, only the friendliest would come and eat out of my hand.  After about 2 weeks, the ones in the back decided that this was just too good to miss out on.  After that time, all my ewes (I don't hand feed my rams) will eat from my  hand.  Some still don't really like me, but none are neurotic. Some of my sheep came from places that don't handle their sheep very often and they will still come for a treat.  Until this year, I sheared all my sheep while they were tied to a fence, standing up.  It doesn't take long, if you are quiet and calm, for them to learn to stand calmly while being tied.

Now, I will admit that Sophia loves to come for a scratch, but will sink all four feet into the ground when you try to move her.  You can actually see the furrows she leaves as you drag her anywhere.  She will, however, follow a bucket of feed anywhere.  Ruby Belle knows the minute I really want to catch her and will disappear, even though she just had her nose in my pocket.  Boots is easy to run into the barn, but hard to corner.  No matter who you want to catch, you'll also have to take Martha, as she is everywhere!

I love the personalities of Jacob Sheep.  I think you will, too!

Linda