[Jacob-list] Pet locator

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Mar 22 07:44:22 EST 2002

It's been my experience that selling Jacobs as "pets" doesn't get them out of the
breeding population.  They end up being passed along and then someone either tries
to register them or register offspring.  The only thing that's lost is the pedigree,
the records and your ability to monitor them.

I'm still kicking myself for letting an inferior ewe lamb off my place years ago.
She and her offspring will haunt me forever, even though I don't have any of her
line.  The only safe place to send stuff you're not proud of is to the freezer -
just my opinion.

This happens in this area when Jacob looking crossbreds are sold as pets.   I heard
awhile back of someone buying unregistered, but purebred Jacobs.  A little research
showed that it's highly likely that some of the animals were sold years ago as
crossbred, but now they are being sold as purebred.

I guess I'm thinking down the line a few generations.  The animals are bred and are
maintained as purebred even though you didn't want them in the breeding population.
They are Jacobs and at some later date are sold as such and indeed they are.  But
the records are lost - and you know I love my records!

Lambing has finally begun with two ewes lambing.  Patchwork Mork's first lamb last
week (a ewe) and Unzicker Asher's first two born 3/20.  Twin ewes! with the
flashiest leg markings you've ever seen.  Edd, these should meet your standard for
leg markings!  For the second year in a row, Sunshine has lambed twins on her
birthday.  The first lamb, Laverne, had a week with noone to play with so has taken
to chasing chickens.  It's quite a sight to watch a few day old lamb keeping three
fat old hens in formation as she "herds" them around the field!

Linda

On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:39:25 -0500, Mary E Hansson wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>It looks like there are quite a few animals going "elsewhere" this
>year at my farm.  There are some "classically beautiful" ewes and
>rams with 4 horns and with those much-lusted after wide sweeping 2
>horns as well.  The matriarchs are several years old, making them
>less palatable to the local ethnic population.  They are new to me
>this year and will not be staying for their second year along with
>all progeny from them.
>
>Although they are registered, they will NOT be sold with papers
>because they are PET quality.  There are only 2 other times that I
>have sold animals that were registered as "pet" quality, but those 2
>times were based on my feelings there were traits that were
>undesirable to be kept in any Jacob population, and this is the case
>with these as well.
>
>E-mail me at iseespots at iseespots.com if you know of anybody who
>would be looking for some very nice fleeces as all but 3 in the
>group of 8 have very nice quality fleeces.
>
>I am also trying to figure out why I have smooshed deformed hooves
>on multiple lambs out of separate sires in my flock this year as
>well&..  Any information regarding that sort of issue would be
>helpful as I try to sort out those issues as well.
>
>Having a lovely spring&&&&&&&&&&&...
>
>Mary Ellen Hansson
>ISeeSpots Farm
>Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
>Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
>www.iseespots.com

Visit our Jacob flock at:
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep