[Jacob-list] Lots of lambs/scrapie programs

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 12 08:24:36 EST 2002

Linda,

We had a ram die January 2001 and his brain was tested for scrapie, but I
didn't have to test a lamb we had put down later that year.  I don't think
they have a valid and reliable live test for scrapie yet.

For slaughter animals, they don't have to be tagged if they go directly to
slaughter.  For an auction situation last fall, they had me tag all intact
animals but wethers didn't have to be tagged with my scrapie tags.  I asked
the vet about the new program and if I would have to tag wethers and he said
they usually put a tag in them at the auction barn anyway.  When I sell an
animal directly to a person, I have to keep a record of where they went.  It
doesn't seem to matter if they keep registrations or are in the scrapie
program.  When a sheep leaves my farm, I just have to record where it went
or how it died.  I check with the USDA vet if I'm not sure of anything.

I would think you couldn't be considered certified scrapie free unless you
were monitored in the program.  I'm sure it's not a 100% guarantee, but I
figure it can't hurt and the costs to me are low.  Also, the vets know a lot
more about scrapie than I do and it helps to get their opinion on things
that I'm not sure about.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
Creston, Ohio