[Jacob-list] Lots of lambs/scrapie programs

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Mar 12 09:25:32 EST 2002

Thanks for the information.  I know I would not be "officially" considered scrapie
free if I did my own monitoring.  I checked my records last night and I know where
every animal that I've owned in the last five years is, except one.  I could find
her with a call to information. I still have her 7 year old dam and two four year
old sisters are nearby.  Only one of my animals died of unknown causes - a 6 month
old ram lamb that I had running on a friend's pasture.  He would not have had to be
checked even if I had been in the program.  Actually that's the only sheep I've had
die since one died in 1993.  Not counting butchered animals, of course.

I am in the federal Id program and will probably go ahead and join the voluntary
program.  Truthfully, the only advantage for a flock like mine that I can see is the
effect on saleability of my lambs.  Dave and I had discussed closing the flock for
the next  few years, anyway, so will probably go ahead and do that this year.  I'd
much prefer to go with a live test if and when one becomes available.  Personally,
I'd have more confidence in knowing the background of a flock, the reputation of the
breeder (and the breeders of the previous generations) than I would in a government
testing program.

How many Jacob breeders are in the voluntary program?  How many breeders would not
buy from someone not enrolled?  Or would not buy from someone that had a newer entry
date into the program?

To respond to Robin's original question - I think the voluntary program would
seriously limit my options when adding new stock.  Unless all the Jacobs breeders
are involved, it seems like we will have two separate strains - the voluntary
scrapie strains and the "others."  It will interesting to see what develops in a few
years when an already limited gene pool is further constrained.

Linda