[Jacob-list] shearing

honeybucket at attbi.com honeybucket at attbi.com
Sun Jul 21 00:57:49 EDT 2002

You'll likely get another crop of variations on the
theme of shearing.  We shear in late January-early
March, depending on finding a compatible date.  This is
primarily to have enough time to process fleeces for
sale at the Puyallup (Washington) Spring  Shepherd's
Extravaganze which I believe is in April.  Usually the
sheep do fine but this last year we had the COLDEST
weather afterward, complete with snow!  We felt quite
sorry for the poor things, but they did quite well in
spite of losing their jackets!
I would agree that marketing the fleeces can be a
challenge, especially if your flock grows!  However,
many spinners are very fond of Jacob wool, so it pays to
get the word out!  Good luck and enjoy!
Patty Berke
Flying Coyote Farm