[Jacob-list] shearing

Purrfleece Farms pfarms at alltel.net
Sat Jul 20 22:06:04 EDT 2002

We try to have the sheep sheared in April but it usually ends up being May because our shearer spends the winter working in NM on the large herds there.  This year it was late May which was too late. The temperatures were already reaching into the mid-90s and they need to be sheared before the heat get bad.  Our shearer does three of four of us in the area the same day (we only have 16 grown sheep).  We shear only those a year old or older.  Better question for you-what are you planning to do with the fleece?  We have finally had some made into beautiful rovings but unless you or a friend is a spinner, you may end up with some large bags of fleece.  You will have to develop your market.

Rich

Purrfleece Farms
pfarms at alltel.net