[Jacob-list] shearing

Heather Fogel heatherf at hutchtel.net
Sun Jul 21 11:20:23 EDT 2002

I am going to spend my winter learning how to spin, and also have a
spinner's guild nearby.  I have talked to a lady who runs a needle work shop
who would like to sell some of my yarns, when I have them, on a consignment
basis.

Thanks for all of the great info.
Heather

> You'll likely get another crop of variations on the
> theme of shearing.  We shear in late January-early
> March, depending on finding a compatible date.  This is
> primarily to have enough time to process fleeces for
> sale at the Puyallup (Washington) Spring  Shepherd's
> Extravaganze which I believe is in April.  Usually the
> sheep do fine but this last year we had the COLDEST
> weather afterward, complete with snow!  We felt quite
> sorry for the poor things, but they did quite well in
> spite of losing their jackets!
> I would agree that marketing the fleeces can be a
> challenge, especially if your flock grows!  However,
> many spinners are very fond of Jacob wool, so it pays to
> get the word out!  Good luck and enjoy!
> Patty Berke
> Flying Coyote Farm
> > We try to have the sheep sheared in April but it usually ends up being
May
> > because our shearer spends the winter working in NM on the large herds
there.
> > This year it was late May which was too late. The temperatures were
already
> > reaching into the mid-90s and they need to be sheared before the heat
get bad.
> > Our shearer does three of four of us in the area the same day (we only
have 16
> > grown sheep).  We shear only those a year old or older.  Better question
for
> > you-what are you planning to do with the fleece?  We have finally had
some made
> > into beautiful rovings but unless you or a friend is a spinner, you may
end up
> > with some large bags of fleece.  You will have to develop your market.
> >
> > Rich
> >
> > Purrfleece Farms
> > pfarms at alltel.net

shear your > sheep, and when.  We have asked around locally and have found
just about every