[Jacob-list] Re:Wethering Lambs

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 26 09:18:48 EST 2002

We leave the best looking rams intact and wether the rest. I wether with
an elastrator at approx 2 weeks of age. My son tried to wether a bottle
lamb earlier and didn't get both testicles, we ended up putting that
lamb in the freezer earlier than we wanted to because of ram behavior.
I just read new regulations for tail docking. Evidently the commercial
breeders used to dock very short and some of them took off the tail
entirely. Because of prolapse problems, they now have to leave "enough
tail to be lifted with a pencil", whatever that means. I dock tails, but
generally leave two to three inches.
Debbie Bennett