[Jacob-list] wethering lambs

messen at socket.net messen at socket.net
Mon Feb 25 16:13:35 EST 2002

Around here I have seen week old Jacobs sell as high as $200 for the petting
zoo and pet market.  I see a bottle baby as a failure and to create one on
purpose is bad husbandry(in my opinion).
As far as wethering, I quit doing that a couple of years ago and think the
intact lambs grow a bit faster.
I also quit docking tails on potential locker lambs.
As a separate note, I had a jacobs ram bred to a Tunis ewe and got a red
spotted ram lamb.  Not the best of spotting pattern, but it is red.  I have
tried to do this for two years now and keep getting black lambs.