[Jacob-list] lamb horns

Robin Lynde rlynde at onramp113.org
Fri Feb 15 03:23:29 EST 2002

Here's a question for those of you with more experience:
Do you have any lambing problems that you attribute to ram horns? (My vet
was surprised when I told her that I could tell the sex of a lamb by feeling
it's head inside the ewe.) My unscientific observation with this lambing
season is that the 2-H rams are getting hung up in the pelvis and I'm having
some very hard pulls.

Now it may be that I've been in the barn more this year than last (after a
particularly rough start to lambing season), so I'm seeing lambing at all
stages, whereas last year the lambs were usually up and nursing when I saw
them. It was rare to actually catch the birth. I think I've been out there
for most of them this year. But I'm thinking that the rams are a bit of a
problem, and especially the 2-H because the horn buds are so massive.

Also, what is your experience with multiples? (triplets+) I've had 3 sets of
triplets and 1 quad and 6 live lambs from the group. They were all 8-9 year
old ewes and in the worst two cases(3 of 3 and 3 of 4 dead) I think the
ewe's body's just "gave up". Necropsy of the first (ewe also) didn't show
anything definite, but probably toxemia was the last straw. In the quads
yesterday, the ewe was eating up until the day before she was due, but that
day showed no signs of labor, and when I finally got the vet involved, it
was too late. I think the lambs died during delivery--at least one had
breathed in a lot of fluid), but maybe before.

I expect that I will get some good info from all of you. I've had 17 lambs
in 3 days and 12 the week before. My ram was sure working hard 5 months ago.
Robin Lynde
Meridian Road Studio & Jacob Sheep
Vacaville, CA