[Jacob-list] stress

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Sat Dec 28 06:41:03 EST 2002

When I first heard of your problems, my first thought was that perhaps it was as much an issue of no exposure to certain parasites, bacteria, little buggies, whatever that are in your area and maybe not in Twigg's area as an inbreeding issue.  Maybe something that is active in the fall and not in May?

Your comment that the sheep seemed to go through alot of stress when being parted, even by see-through fences, and then get sick,  is what led me to comment on a hardiness problem.  Sheep should be able to handle some stress and should be able to adapt.  Fifteen years of inbreeding and/or remaining in the same area may have developed an animal that thrived in one particular situation.  That situation includes biological, environmental and psychological factors.  Nature vs. Nurture, I guess.

In any case, you'd expect to see an improvement in the next generation.  I know it must be awful to lose the sheep - hope it stablilizes soon.

Linda