[Jacob-list] sheep memory

Mary Hansson mhansson1 at triad.rr.com
Fri Dec 27 18:49:00 EST 2002

Don't quite know what to put it all down to, but think parasites of one
sort or another may be at the root of the issue.  The group of Twigg
sheep I brought home in May (and the ones that Katrina got) weren't this
big of a problem.  In fact, I didn't have a bit of sickness with those 7
sheep.  The 20 I brought in this fall have been the source of many tears
from about a month after their arrival through into December.  I have
lost more sheep this fall than in the prior 8 1/2 years of shepherding
combined!

I will really have to watch the sheep for a longer period of time before
putting down their poor health this fall to THEIR problem.  It may very
well be.  I have been of the opinion their immune systems have never met
a bug, and their immune systems have never been built up and challenged
like sheep that move around or that meet other sheep more often than
every 15 years or so......  A poor shepherding issue such as parasites
or the unchallenged immune system would not be hardiness issues to fault
the sheep for.  I just don't have answers.  I know I would like more
than 2-3 weeks without the loss of a sheep to feel like I am done
digging holes.

Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209