[Jacob-list] sheep memory

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Fri Dec 27 17:57:01 EST 2002

That's interesting.  I'm afraid I would have to consider that a hardiness problem - just my opinion.  I know the group is highly inbred.  Would you attribute the situation to that?  I haven't heard of anything like this before, but it almost sounds like one of those behaviour traits, like poor mothering, aggressive rams, etc, that can be heritable - or not, depending on your view.

They are a pretty group - hope they settle in!

Linda

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 20:43:18 -0500, Mary Hansson wrote:
>Linda,
>
>I have seen an exaggeration of the same phenomenon with the large
>Twigg
>group I brought in this year.  Even putting a fence between them for
>breeding caused lots of stress and apparent distress.  That group
>just
>has not done well with any changes.  You move one, and either they
>or a
>buddy of theirs gets sick and dies......all rather tiring.
>

>Mary Ellen Hansson, ISeeSpots Farm
>Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters
>Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies
>www.iseespots.com (336) 854-6209

Visit our Jacob flock at:
http://www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep