[Jacob-list] Help with Chicken Choice

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Fri Dec 6 12:54:39 EST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Tina Bowman wrote:

> suggested by the vet....so now we just need to some help in choosing a good
> breed.  Of course, I'd love one that lays well, but a nice quiet breed
> would help too.

Check out the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy for a look
at heritage breeds. There are lots of them that make wonderful
layers and yard hens, in breeds that can use some support. They
are still available at hatcheries, and you will be surprised at
some of the common names that show up on the watch lists.

	http://www.albc-usa.org/wtchlist.htm

My favorites for a multi-use hen (meat, eggs, insect control, and
entertainment) are the Barred Plymouth Rock. But there are lots
of fine choices, and some of your criteria should include what
thrives in your part of the country.

Oh, have fun. I hope never to be henless in my barnyard. They
add so much and ask so little.

Susan
--
Susan Layne Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      	|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.