[Jacob-list] Help with Chicken Choice

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Fri Dec 6 10:10:21 EST 2002

At 11:53 12/5/02, Tina Bowman wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I asked this question some time ago and have since lost the information
>that I obtained from everyone.
>
>We are having a worm problem on the farm due to the drought this year in
>this area and the vet suggested we get some chickens to help rid the ground
>of some of these,also with the fly population.

Chickens are at times pointed out as a problem around hay and feed for
goats - potentially spreading something, but I can't remember what right
now.  (I just woke up, but this will probably be my only computer time
today.)  I would think it would be the same for sheep.  That said, my hens
are in and out and all around my goats and sheep, feed and hay, and we have
not had a problem.

>If anyone can lead me to a good web site or in a decent direction I would
>appreciate it.

I've had hens for a number of years, and often sell excess eggs.  I prefer
brown or blue/green egg layers, partly because the white egg laying breeds
seem to be much more prevalent.  We have a rainbow of hens consisting of
Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Aracanas (the blue green egg layers - not
as many eggs, but really fun to get), Buff Orpingtons and Dark
Cornish.  The last two are probably my favorites, and are often more
docile.  You can order them from big companies like McMurry, which have a
25 chick minimum, or your local feed store may be willing to either include
a few of a breed you want when they make their big order of chicks to sell,
or may even get a breed you want already.  You can find McMurry on the web
at: http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/

And for learning about chickens in general, my absolute favorite book is
Chickens In Your Backyard.  Your local library might even have it.  Good luck!

Penelope Jacob pcj at efn.org
parent, doula, farmer, birth & breastfeeding activist.
***War doesn't decide who is right. Only who's left.***
Attachment parenting a busy, spirited, nursing toddler.