[Jacob-list] meeting

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Wed Aug 7 09:21:27 EDT 2002

Hello, out there, jacob folk,

My husband and I will be hosting a jacob sheep weekend at our farm on Columbus Day weekend, which is October 12 and 13 (and 14th?) this year.  I'm still planning things, but hope for a farm tour on one of those days, which will take in three other local breeders with very different sheep and breeding philosophies among them. More later. And maybe some time to sit around and talk sheep.  There is plenty of room in "JOhn's meadow" (where no sheep have been!) to pen in sheep, if you wish to bring some to trade, sell, etc. (I havfe green gates and electronetting, there are trees for shade.)  As for lodging, should you wish to stay overnight, we have four bedrooms and a camper with beds available, first come, first served, (two already taken), or you can stay locally, but if that's the case, it being Columbus Day weekend, and this being Vermont, that will be tough.  You can camp on our land.  I can find place with friends, locally, if you wish.  Foodwise, I haven't figured out yet what we'll do, but I would bguess that we'll do some sort of potluck lunch here, tea at one of the farms we visit, and dinner here on the grill with casseroles to back up whatever we grill.  Cheap, good local, simple food...as an added attraction, I'm open to a poultry/bird swap as well, while we're gathered...

Vermont is beautiful in the fall: from our covered front porch, you can watch the sun set, view three mountains.  You can loll around on the hammock under a tree at the edge of the woods in the back yard, climb our hill, which is only 2/3 of a mile, or head out the 4 miles to Ascutney Mtn. and climb to the top of it, some 3500 feet or so. There is the Vermont Country Store for shoppers, the Cornish Farmers' Market and Norwich Farmers' Market Sat. a.m., if you arrive Friday night, where you can buy all sorts of locally crafted items as well as food, bread, etc...There is a campground 2 miles from the house, should you wish to check in there instead of on our back 40!  (WE'll be sharing two bathrooms here!)

My sense is that the main part of the meeting will be Saturday, starting with lunch here at noon, and then touring around to the other farms, back here for dinner.  However, we're open for guests and will plan accordingly with activities or just relaxation from Friday afternoon through Monday afternoon.  Feel free to come, spend some time with us, and other time touring around Vermont.

WE will need to know who's coming and who needs room/beds here or elsewhere for me to prepare!

Hope to see many of you on Saturday, and many for the weekend, as well.  AS of right now, I'm pretty sure that our Region 2 rep will be here, unless plans change unavoidably.

BEtty Berlenbach, Maple Hill Farm, Weathersfield, Vermont. (Exit 8 on I-91)