[Jacob-list] Showing calves and sheep

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Tue Aug 6 22:15:29 EDT 2002

Last week, we participated in our local District Junior Dairy Show [Holstein calves]. My 7-year old showed a calf for the first time and was disappointed to come in wa-a-ay down the line despite the fact that he obviously had the sweetest calf in the group. Now, J.J.'s calf was in the blue group and he won a blue ribbon for fitting and showmanship. The calves that won were much larger and were straight as arrows. I can not say much for their feet and legs and level rumps. [The one with the high pins will not last through her first lactation in a commercial herd.] I told J.J. that the opinion of the judge is only one opinion on one particular day. That judgment will change from day to day.

It occurred to me that it is unlikely that a judge would place the nice, flat boned, medium sized animal with a sloping rump and sound feet and legs over the tall, straight top-lined, flat rumped, stylish animal. The grandparents in the fourth row would mutiny. All in all, teach the kids that placing down in the class is no big deal...though not breaking the beast to lead properly is!

Neal Grose
Harmony, NC