[Jacob-list] Docking and MD Sheep and Wool Festival Question

Mary E Hansson iseespots at prodigy.net
Fri Apr 26 17:10:23 EDT 2002

Trish,

I will be there helping out as my usual in the Liberty Ridge booth in
Barn 4 (on the end closest to the animal buildings rather than the
bathrooms).  I have no plans to bring lambs/adults up---none spoken for
at present, and really no time to figure out how to manage that anyway
with my schedule.  I am planning to come home with a few though.  My
hubby even knows ;o)

I dock and I don't dock.  Some of my sheep wind up docked for the simple
reason that most people are uncomfortable with undocked sheep and are
worried stiff about fly strike and such---and sheep do get sold.

I have witnessed 2 cases of fly strike on my place---neither associated
with diarrhea and in animals that had been docked.  All of my animals
theoretically have diarrhea now and then.  Sheep get ahold of too much
greenery or food occasionally and get a bit runny....temperatures go up
and some lambs stress.....stuff happens.  Rarely does it require more
than simple monitoring to make sure it goes away in 24 hours.  My sheep
get their tails up and out of the way and they don't wind up soiled and
all messed up.

I have friends that have had the same experiences with this breed and
tails---you may hear from some of them as well.

I personally think tails are pretty.  They are quite variable from one
animal to the next if you really look at them.  Some are fluffy while
others are harsh and others are not too bad for fleece---wouldn't spin
it, but not bad anyway.

I have seen some Jacobs with NO tails---docked to the backbone.  This is
gross and inhumane to boot.  Ewes without tails are much more prone to
prolapses and that is not pleasant and so unavoidable when these are the
circumstances.

Mary Ellen Hansson

ISeeSpots Farm

Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters

Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies

www.iseespots.com