[Jacob-list] Freckling, etc.

Mary E Hansson iseespots at prodigy.net
Thu Apr 11 05:10:43 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I have culled for extensive freckling as well as for lighter freckling.
I don't consistently do that, and much of the culling decisions around
here are based on hardiness, mothering abilities, degree of
handle-ability, and parasite resistance.  When I get too many sheep
(which we all do), then I can get more selective for what "I" like to
see in the sheep.  Fusing and freckling come under those criteria, but
the sheep have rarely wound up under these particular circumstances with
my Bosnian friends.  This year, that may change.  :O)

I wish somebody could explain to me rationally WHY the need to separate
the 2 colors on the one sheep.  They are usually slightly different in
handle in the finished yarn, and the process leads to waste from the
"gray" areas on the unfreckled animals.  Pinstriped roving is beautiful,
but it still spins up spackled unless you are then separating that
out.....  If you want 2 colors, get 2 fleeces and go at it.

Mary Ellen Hansson

ISeeSpots Farm

Jacob Sheep:  Those horny, fuzzy critters

Shop:  Knitting, crochet, spinning supplies

www.iseespots.com