[Jacob-list] Freckling, etc.

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 09:08:57 EDT 2002

> I wish somebody could explain to me rationally WHY the need to separate
> the 2 colors on the one sheep.  They are usually slightly different in
> handle in the finished yarn, and the process leads to waste from the
> "gray" areas on the unfreckled animals.  Pinstriped roving is
> beautiful, but it still spins up spackled unless you are then
> separating that out.....  If you want 2 colors, get 2 fleeces and go at
> it.
> Mary Ellen Hansson
Different colors is one of the things I like about Jacobs. I don't
always separate the colors. I have had some beautiful pin striped roving
done up. I don't always want to work with grey/brown yarn. I separate
for white, black, and have the grey areas blended for three colors of
roving or yarn. No waste.
I'm just finishing a sweater out of Navaho-Churro wool from a badger
colored animal (black belly/legs, getting lighter starting up the sides,
back is tan). I separated the wool into two lots; one light grey/tan,
the other, dark grey/brown/black. I ended up with an oatmeal colored
yarn and a dark grey/brown tweedy yarn that complement each other well.
There is more yarn on one fleece than it takes to do a sweater even
using smaller, primitive sheep.

Debbie Bennett