[Jacob-list] Freckling, etc.

Grose NLGrose at Yadtel.net
Wed Apr 10 22:14:53 EDT 2002

Out of 70 Jacob ewes we have 2 with white legs and they are moderately "freckle complex". We select for extensive leg markings and I would say that we have no more than minor freckling. This is relative, and I readily admit that our sheep may just be weird, but I doubt it. I don't like the idea of culling on the basis of one trait. With one ram for 70 ewes, we don't select back rams with freckling; however, we use young rams and they may develop freckling later.
If I am right, the solution for freckling complex is inbreeding...which is not such a great idea either.

Neal Grose
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mary Spahr
  To: Jacob List Members
  Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 12:50 PM
  Subject: [Jacob-list] Freckling, etc.

  How many have noticed a connection between leg spotting and freckling?  Since there are breeders who are obviously culling sheep for freckling, at what degree of freckling do you cull - minor freckling, excessive freckling?  Do you include sheep that freckle due to sun exposure?  How much are your decisions based upon opinions of show judges?  Would you use a ram that had some degree of freckling?
  Mary Spahr