[Jacob-list] Freckling, etc.

Susan Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Wed Apr 10 18:22:31 EDT 2002

I've been following with interest the discussion about spots,
freckles, ticks, pencil-points, erasors... (I'm getting a bit
of a tic myself by now, just contemplating it).

It strikes me that, though from the standpoint of an ideal
fleece, snowy white and darkest black are the desired things,
this pin-pointing with skin and/or fleece spots is not an
un-Jacob kind of feature.

So, dear me, once again I guess the question is: do we want
to be culling this esthetically unfortunate trait out of the
breed? Or is it something that is part of the Jacob genome, and
that we ought to be aware of, even as we might prefer a prettier
example of a picture sheep? In other words, are we here to please
the judges, or to conserve a fine little breed? And if the latter,
how much leeway do we allow ourselves, admitting all the way that
if we are going to conserve them, we also have to make them
sell in an already narrow market?

Susan (feeling philosophical again...)
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      		|"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA -- snielsen at orednet.org  	|stream..." -- Anon.