[Jacob-list] DEF:Freckling, Ticking, Mottling

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Apr 9 14:25:36 EDT 2002

maplelanehmstd at dialpoint.net writes:

> I have some sheep that have freckles with dark wool coming from that spot
> and also some that just have dark pigmented spots(white wool covering
> those). I assumed all were considered freckles and have culled because of
> it . Am I correct in my thinking?

Freckles, small dark skin spots with black wool, which appear in the piebald
area at birth, have a "black fiber producing site in the dermal layer .. deep
down in the skin.  The dark skin that does not produce black fiber is skin
mottling which is the presence of melanin in the epidermal layer ... top
layer of the skin.

Ticking is the "appearance of what we like to call freckles" ... like we use
the term "sunrise" ... which do not appear at birth but develop as a black
"spot" (pick up your pencils please) and have a black fiber ...  and increase
in number (and slightly in size ... pencil point to eraser) over time. Put
down the pencils.

My concern is the "indiscriminate" breeding for these traits absent
understanding the Spotting locus and epistatic factors ... interaction
between genes that are not alleles.
I do not think I advocated sending them all to the knacker or sale barn ...
it was a caution before the consequences become irrecoverable.  Fred Horak