[Jacob-list] freckling

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Tue Apr 9 16:32:40 EDT 2002

Wow,

I do like Fred's wonderful explanations. Over here, Jacob judges take a dim view of pencil - spotting on a jacob's skin. Could this be associated with a narrow grey outline where black wool meets white wool? This too is disliked by judges. Needless to say I have examples of both...

One thought about primitive characteristics - placenta eating. The only one of ours which we have seen eating a placenta is Trixie our 3 horn jacob. Haven't seen it in our Hebrideans, Shetlands or even Soays.

Final observations. We noticed 2 of our jacobs walk up to the alpha ewe, sniff noses, lean against her then turn round to have the other end sniffed and then potter off to lamb immediately after. Were they telling the boss they were about to produce?

For altruism, one ewe missed her evening feed and babysat her sister's brand new triplets whilst she went off to the trough. And for Kimmy not to be first to the trough is unheard of.

Gordon and Juliet in sunny Scotland