[Jacob-list] (no subject)

stonecroft235 at juno.com stonecroft235 at juno.com
Mon Apr 8 13:49:54 EDT 2002

When a great ideas or information is posted to the list I print it, and
then add it to a ring binder of information with various topics, i.e.
shearing, parasites, lambing, etc.  We are in the process of shearing
here - we shear very slowly on  a stand, perhaps only one sheep an
evening - not because we are meticulous but because we are novices!!!
Anyway, 2 years ago Robin C. posted the suggestion to the list of using
WD40 to clean the blades when shearing, rather than the half diesel, half
motor oil mix usually suggested.  We tried it and it works like a charm -
spray the WD40 on the blades and then brush them to ungum them with a
toothbrush (preferably not the one you are currently using!)  or similar
brush, wipe them off and VOILA, they are clean.  Thanks Robin, for the
tip!!!  Also, we just LOVE our stand - with our bad backs it is
absolutely a wonderful tool - for any procedure, albeit surgical,
shearing, injections, whatever.  Last summer I had a lamb with a nasty
abscess - every day I put him in the stand, worked on that abscess to
clean it, irrigate it, gave him antibiotics, etc.--- all that w/o the
typical struggle of one of us hanging on to horns while the other one
attempts to work quickly, while kneeling, etc.  And, incidentally, that
little ram lamb recovered nicely, and seemingly seemed to know we were
helping him as he fell madly in love with me.................which was
not a good thing for me because of the guilt I felt as I loaded him for
the ride to the butcher shop!!

Thanks again for the all the shared cyber space shepherding wisdom!!!!

Sue Martin
Stonecroft

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.