[Jacob-list] Showing Jacobs

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Fri Sep 28 15:20:33 EDT 2001

OK, Debbie, since you were looking for discussion, here goes: :-)

You wrote, in part:  "I believe that 'trimming' fleeces and 'coloring' horns and hooves should not be allowed. If trimming is allowed, then quilting, hairy foreheads, legs and
bellies can be hidden. Naturally black horns and hooves are stronger than
white, thus blacking them can hide a less desirable trait

On the one hand, I happen to agree with you on the "whats," but disagree 100% on the "whys."  In fact, I think your response validates my own dislike of showing Jacobs.

More to the point: I agree, there should be no coloring of horns, trimming of fleece, etc.   However, I say this NOT because it "hides" less desirable traits, but because I do not believe that we should buy into the notion that these ARE "undesriable" traits!

Striped horns and quilting are common traits found in many Jacobs.  To "reveal" them for the purposes of "eliminating" them is to destroy a gene pool in the name of showmanship and aesthetics.  I would say go ahead and show wheep with quilting AND striped horns - and WIN.  These sheep are just as much "Jacobs" as any Jacob that has bred to an aesthetic standard.  To "hide" these qualities assumes that they are "bad"qualities, and I would say the opposite:  they are Jacob qualities.

thom