[Jacob-list] Re: Showing Jacobs

gordon johnston gordon at westergladstone.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 05:48:25 EDT 2001

Ah, this could be the stirring of a hornet's nest...

There is a tradition here of very careful washing and trimming of fleeces,
followed by thorough combing through. The result, in my eyes, is a fluffy
poodle with horns.

However, we, and a good few others, leave the sheep pretty much alone. No
washing (not good for the fleece), no shearing at 'unnatural' times - here
some owners clip in January -  no combing. We will trim off daggy bits and
stray bits and pick the hay out of the fleeces. Occasionally we will wipe
the horns with some baby oil. That's about it. We do just the same for my
Hebrideans, Shetlands and Soays.

It seems to work. Sitting above me are Champion rosettes for both Jacob and
Shetlands of ours.

I hope this helps. The odd thing is, I am not really keen on showing, but
it's a good time to have a gossip with our assorted friends and neighbours.

Gordon and Julie Johnston
Wester Gladstone Native Breeds
Scotland