[Jacob-list] show prep guidelines

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 26 09:26:01 EDT 2001

The only guidelines I've ever seen for showing wool sheep breeds said:
wool shall be of sufficient length for the type of sheep (i.e. long
enough to be able to evaluate it) and no belly shearing.
We trim hooves and clean them with a toothbrush if necessary (some
people use a little shoe polish on hooves). We clean their ears and
horns, pick the vegetable matter out of their wool.
If they are messy around the rear end, I trim off tags with a pair of
scissors a couple weeks before the show (so wool has a chance to grow a
little and they look natural rather than just trimmed).

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre

On Tuesday, September 25, 2001, at 05:27 PM, Yvonne Hart wrote:

> Our 4H sheep leader is endeavoring to become more knowledgeable of wool
> breed showing.  Her comment to me the other night was that wool animals
> are not to be washed before showing.  I have always washed, picked out
> and done a little trimming with our Jacobs.  I couldn't find guidelines
> in JSBA on this, but the Jacob Sheep Society in the UK gave a good
> description. I was wondering how  you prepare your animals, and do
> other wool breeds not wash before a show?
>
> Yvonne Hart
>
> Four Horn Farm

<Attachment missing>