[Jacob-list] show prep guidelines

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 22:58:51 EDT 2001

We just showed in a small local 4H show. I did not
bath my animals.  I did, however, trim off manure tags
and clip their under tail areas to make them neat. I
washed under their tails (they are not docked) to
remove manure residue. I washed their legs and faces
and trimmed their tummies.  I also made sure their
ears were clean.  We used baby oil on their horns to
make them shine (put on shortly before we went into
show ring and rubbed with a soft towel). My Daughter
also used a bit of sparkle cream on her wether's horns
in a special costume-like class. I used a large
toothed comb (similar to a mane and tail horse comb)
to comb through the fleece -- being careful not to
fluff them too much. We also remove all veggie matter
from the fleece.

Hope this helps some. I'm interested in hearing what
others have to say!

Joy

--- Yvonne Hart <spottingchances_jacob at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Our 4H sheep leader is endeavoring to become more
> knowledgeable of wool breed showing.  Her comment to
> me the other night was that wool animals are not to
> be washed before showing.  I have always washed,
> picked out and done a little trimming with our
> Jacobs.  I couldn't find guidelines in JSBA on this,
> but the Jacob Sheep Society in the UK gave a good
> description. I was wondering how  you prepare your
> animals, and do other wool breeds not wash before a
> show?
>
> Yvonne Hart
>
> Four Horn Farm

> Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant
> messaging with Yahoo! Messenger.

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm
Home of Jacob Sheep