[Jacob-list] Blue Ribbon at the Fair

Tina Bowman azaleafarms at citcom.net
Mon Sep 17 10:12:13 EDT 2001

Hello fellow farmers,

It's been awhile since Danny and I have posted, but we read alot.

We've been busy with our daily lives and just experienced our first show as
a participant with our Jacobs.

Our Ram Lamb Hatteras took first place in Fine Wool, then he was placed in
competition with other blue ribbons in the batch and receive reserve grand
champion. Needless to say we are very proud.

We were of course the only Jacobs there, we competed with several wool
breeders, I only wish I could see more Jacobs. We had a great display and
educated the public well in what a Jacob is.  We made several great
contacts for perspective new breeders in our area and also a wool
processor. The processor was a great advantage being that I am allergic to
the wool and can't touch it, I have to show with rubber gloves, but I love
my animal and go on anyway.

Our other Jacobs did very well, each placing except our oldest ram, we just
took him for the fun so everyone could marvel at his majestic rack of horns.

If you've never shown your Jacobs, please consider it. It's rather hard
work, but it's so much fun to see the reaction from the visiting public.
The most common question was "is that normal" for the horn rack. I also
educated a preacher in the origin of the jacob. He promised he'd mention in
it church on Sunday that he had witnessed something that dates back to the
bible.

Thanks for letting us boast. God bless each of you for your work in
carrying on such a great task. We are all God's creatures, but some are
more spectacular to look at than others, and we are blessed to have such
creatures on our farm.

Azalea Farms
Danny and Tina Bowman
Brevard, N.C.