[Jacob-list] Plastic fencing

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 14:38:29 EDT 2001

> We only have one ram and so far have not had a problem
> with him attacking the fence. Does that happen more
> when there are separate breeding groups and rams
> trying to get into the other pasture?
> Joy

Its breeding season. Spike (6 yr old ram, big 4 horn) worked at the
field fence where it was connected to a T-post, until he broke the wire.
The fence was still standing and he didn't escape. The next day, he tore
the gate off its hinges, walked up the road to the upper pasture, where
there was a ewe in heat and tried to mate her through the fence. So,
they don't need to be right next to each other in order to smell what's
going on. We had to free Spike's horns entangled in the fence on another
occasion. The ram lambs are all in together and have started fighting
each other, slamming into the side of the barn and scratching (or
sharpening) their horns on any handy wooden post.  Add to this, more
than one breed of sheep and the ewes start trying to escape and go to
the ram of their preference rather than ours. It gets really tricky
keeping them separated during this time of the year.

Debbie Bennett
Feral Fibre