[Jacob-list] Plastic fencing

J Thomas shepherdofspots at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 18:37:55 EDT 2001

That explains why I'm not having a problem with
"ramming". I have one ram and he is with his ewes all
year. Next spring, he will be sold. I will then obtain
another ram to use with next year's breeding.

We also have only one breed of breeding sheep. The
second breed in my spinner's flock are all wethers.

Thanks for the advice Debbie! It's so great to be able
to learn from others!

Joy T.

--- Debbie Bennett <dbennet954 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > We only have one ram and so far have not had a
> problem
> > with him attacking the fence. Does that happen
> more
> > when there are separate breeding groups and rams
> > trying to get into the other pasture?
> > Joy
>
> Its breeding season. Spike (6 yr old ram, big 4
> horn) worked at the
> field fence where it was connected to a T-post,
> until he broke the wire.
> The fence was still standing and he didn't escape.
> The next day, he tore
> the gate off its hinges, walked up the road to the
> upper pasture, where
> there was a ewe in heat and tried to mate her
> through the fence. So,
> they don't need to be right next to each other in
> order to smell what's
> going on. We had to free Spike's horns entangled in
> the fence on another
> occasion. The ram lambs are all in together and have
> started fighting
> each other, slamming into the side of the barn and
> scratching (or
> sharpening) their horns on any handy wooden post.
> Add to this, more
> than one breed of sheep and the ewes start trying to
> escape and go to
> the ram of their preference rather than ours. It
> gets really tricky
> keeping them separated during this time of the year.
>
> Debbie Bennett
> Feral Fibre

=====
Joy Thomas, Son-Rise Farm