[Jacob-list] Ram marking harness

Debbie Bennett dbennet954 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 08:54:04 EDT 2001

A couple years ago, we bought a new ram lamb for breeding and after a
week or two he still seemed to have no interest in the ewes. I thought a
marking harness was an expensive idea, another rancher came up with a
solution: dry tempera paint mixed with shortening. We mixed it up in an
empty margarine container and left it out on the fence post. Every few
days, we grabbed the ram by the horns at feeding time and smeared some
on his chest. We soon knew that he was doing his job and knew exactly
when the lambs were due. It took months for the paint to wash off the
ewes, but it was gone by shearing time with no ill effects on the fleece.

Debbie Bennett