[Jacob-list] harnesses

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue Sep 4 07:53:52 EDT 2001

Once in a while, I have a bottle lamb who needs to go with me...generally, they just wear a cat collar, gradually graduating to a dog collar--just one around the neck.  I guess they don't ordinarily wear such things because of it rubbing the fleeced area which would/could cause some felting, whereas the face harnesses don't.

My first lamb, before my sheep even arrived was a three day old bottle baby of a friend, actually given to a teenaged houseguest the day after I moved in.  She was 4 or 5 pounds when we brought her here.  Cleo went everywhere with me, in a box in the front passenger seat.  She learned "sit" as a command, and seldom had any "accidents", learning to wait til I took her to the "woods" every couple of hours.  As she got older, she could frequently be seen by passers-by as I drove around, sitting in the front seat, watching the sights.  Luckily, though we got a lot of interesting looks, we never seemed to have caused an accident.  I learned pretty quickly, however, that sheep who are carted around and bottled, become the most spoiled, obnoxious adults!  I was never able to get one decent, clean fleece from her, because somehow, even if she was across the field, if I had hay or grain in my hands, no matter where or when I dropped it, she was under it, and her fleece got very clotted full of detritus.  Because of that, even if I have to give a bottle to a lamb, I try very hard to stay distant, so that that doesn't happen again.