[Jacob-list] prices!

Linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Nov 28 07:46:47 EST 2001

Four years of drought in the southeast have had a tremendous effect on hay prices
and livestock prices.  Hay is up, sheep sales and prices are down.

I find that paying $3.50 for hay that has no waste is more economical than spending
money for poor hay.  This particular grower also keeps his barn full until spring
which allows us to depend on him throughout the winter.  That's worth something to
us.

We don't buy alfalfa hay - too expensive, not necessary and too much waste.

What profit?  We do pretty much break even and did make a small profit during the
first years of the drought.  We don't expect to be able to make a profit with these
drought conditions, but will keep the Jacobs anyway.  They are more than a business
venture.  We got sheep because we wanted lamb for the freezer and wool to spin.
After seeing Jacob Sheep, I just had to have them.  I still expect them to fill the
freezer and provide wool and in doing that they pay their way.  Handspun yarns pay a
major part of the feed bill.  Sheep sales are down, but there are enough to help
out.  We like lamb and consider our lamb dinners as income.  When I have more sheep
than I want and no buyers, we put more in the freezer and registered ewes end up
there some years.

Linda