[Jacob-list] prices!

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at sover.net
Tue Nov 27 21:43:41 EST 2001

Wow!  What prices...two years ago I ran out of hay and bought some of a neighbor's extra alfalfa for $3.50 a bale (maybe 50 pounds? Maybe 40, not sure).  She said it was organic, but not that great.  They left all the stems, and it was quite stemmy, ate the few leaves, and needed LOTS.  So, I bought some plain ol' mixed grass hay for $2 a bale, which they ate a lot more of.  Decided they didn't seem any too thrilled about the alfalfa, and it was very costly, so I'm not getting any more.  The sheep seem very healthy on 2 pounds of first cut grass hay and l/4 c. max of organic whole 15% protein corn, oats or wheat, soybean mix (increased to l/2 cup ea. last month of pregnancy and first month or so of lactation, then tapered off.)  They are healthy, they have no lambing problems, (haven't lost a lamb in 5 years, or is it 6 now...) they are healthy, I get good prices for my fleeces, so Ithink I'll stick with my cheap hay!  I don't know how those of you who pay such highprices stay in business.  How do you make a profit?  Do you sell lambs for $800 a piece, or fleeces at $20 a pound or something?