[Jacob-list] Some good news on the FMD front -

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Thu May 17 07:16:11 EDT 2001

Folks - It appears that in Scotland, at least, the requests for exceptions to the culling policy are now being considered.  This has been something that many breeders, both in the UK and here, have been requesting of the Scottish Executive.  Now that it is being considered there, once again it is possible to suggest to our own USDA that a similar policy here would *not* be extraordinary or inconsistent with UK policy.  I enclosed the clipping below.

thom

" The owner of a sanctuary, whose animals were threatened by the foot-and-mouth
> cull, is celebrating after a change in policy saved the goats and sheep.
>
> Lawyers representing Juanita Wilson had been preparing to go to court in a
bid  to prevent slaughter.

> But the Scottish Executive is to scrap the policy of culling animals within
> three kilometres of infected farms. This will save the animals at the
Mossburn  Animal Sanctuary in Hightae, near Lockerbie.

> Ms Wilson was granted an 11th hour reprieve for the 14 goats and three
sheep on  Friday to allow her lawyers further time to develop new lines of argument.
But Scottish rural affairs minister Ross Finnie has announced cases will
be  decided on individual merit in future.

> The animals will be tested by a vet from the Scottish Executive and the
> sanctuary will be inspected to ensure it is following procedures to prevent the  spread of the cull.
>
> A spokeswoman for Mr Finnie said: "Obviously the culling policy has been
> monitored as events unfold as far as Scotland is concerned, and has developed.
>
> "We will now be able to look at individual cases on merit and animals
within the  three kilometre zone will be subject to closer monitoring and it will not
> necessarily be a case of every animal in the zone being taken out."
>
> The animals at the sanctuary had been under threat since a neighbouring
farm  became infected with foot-and-mouth.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_293148.html