[Jacob-list] Thoughts from a former breeder

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Thu May 17 07:46:53 EDT 2001

1 - Those of you on this list either have or are interested in getting
Jacob Sheep.  This is a given. You have neighbors who have them, seen them
at Exotic sales, at Expos, at sheep shows, ect and were attracted to them
because of there 4 horns and/or black/white coloration and/or
rarity.......something different that just sort of grabbed you.

2 - The sheep that you have or are going to get will fall into one of 3
categories. This is a given. They will be the primitive type that preceded
the 50s and on importations - RARE. They will be a pure import from the
Hescock importation = POSSIBLE or something imported into Canada and
filtered down into the US - POSSIBLE. Or, and this is where 99% of the
sheep out there fall, they will be a combination of the old primitive type
American sheep and the more recent imports.  A blend of the two types.\

3 - When you get your sheep you have an option to register them within two
of the organizations that are out there now - the JSBA or the JSC. And if
you do this you will HAVE to follow their guidelines toward registering
your sheep. These two organizations both have a procedure that they feel
will best suit the breed and it's future.  You the breeder have to decide
which one fits into your way of thinking and to me they are as different as
day and night BUT both have a place and are a benefit to the breed

4 - But when you decide to register your sheep be prepared for sometime one
of your sheep failing to meet the basic qualification for
registration!!!!!  I personally know much more about the way the JSBA works
than I do the JSC.  And of the 7 I believe inspectors on the JSBA I
personally know 4 of these inspectors - they are LONG TIME BREEDERS - are
in my opinion very qualified to be doing their jobs -are dedicated enough
to take the time and effort to do this job - are willing to take the heat
that comes with failing someone's sheep - and have no agenda to let
personal feeling interfere with passing or failing you sheep.  It is in
their hands to insure the future of your breed.  They have a responsibility
to cull out the xbreeds, etc.  = to follow the guidelines set out by the
members and passed on to the m by the BOD.  Just because a lamb falls out
of two of your registered sheep does not and should not automatically
quality it for registration - for you are dealing with number of horns
and/or wool and/or leg color and/or eye patches and/or nose color and/or
lots of small spots and/or a few large spots and/or horn configuration,
etc. etc. etc.   The whole ball of wax is what makes up your Jacob and the
future of your flock - be prepared to CULL - CULL - CULL.  And let the
registration process help you do to this.

5 - LISTEN to them when they tell you something about the sheep that you
are trying to register - they probably know more as a group that the whole
rest of you will ever know.  And I do not say that lightly!!! They have
been breeding long before the inception of either of the breed
organizations and made every possible mistake that the rest of you can ever
make as a group!!!!!  They know what the breed looked like 25 years ago,
know the "improvements" that have been made to the breed in the following
years, have helped set the guidelines that form the registrations as they
are today.  They should be your gurus!!!!!

6 - For some strange reason there are those you there who think that the
inspectors are a tight knit groups of secret militia that have certain
sheep in their sights and are trying to eliminate them!!!!  Not true
-  They are doing a job that will hopefully insure the future of no only
your personal flock but the breed as a whole.