[Jacob-list] A genetics observation

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 22:38:37 EDT 2001

Hello All,

Since the list has been so quiet lately, I thought
that I would share an observation.

When we acquired our Jacob Sheep in 1996 we started
with a nice two horn ram and 3 ewes. Our plan was to
only take 2 ewes, but the lady we got them from wanted
us to take this real small ewe with 4 horns, her name
is Sarah. The two horns that are on her right side are
right next to each other. As she has gotten older they
have twisted around each other, I think this is what
everyone calls fused horns.

The first year Sarah lambed (5-98) her twin rams were
born dead. The next year(3-99) she had twin rams
again. Each were endowed with 4 horns, one excellent
then other not as nice, none the less they were
seperated and looked good.

Last year (3-2000) Sarah had a ram and a ewe. This was
her first ewe lamb, Beauty. Again both lambs had 4
horns. We wethered the boy, he died in Sept so didn't
get to see what his horns would have been like. Now
Beauty has had her own ram lamb, he is nicely marked
and has two horns(like his daddy). Beauty's horns were
not very strong. As a young lamb they were weak and
broke easily. As she has gotten older they have become
harder and her two horns on her right side are just
like her mothers, close together, one goes forward and
one goes back.

This year Sarah again had a ram and a ewe. Her ram has
two horns (like his daddy), the ewe, Alpha has four
horns. Alpha's four horns are firmer and more stable
than Beauty's were at an early age. But what I am
noticing now as her horns are beginning to grow is
that her two horns on the right are doing like her
mother and her half-sister, they are close to each
other one is going forward and one is going back.

I think that it is interesting that this trait is only
passed on to her ewe lambs and not the ram lambs. With
the exception of one ram lamb, all of her ram lambs
have had perfect horns.

I have read all the posts on genetics, most have gone
over my head when it has gotten technical. I just
wanted to share this observation with everyone.

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farms
Petersburg, IN